After a lengthy work in progress, I am pleased to share a Microsoft Unified Communications Client Deployment script that I think will help some deployments rollout Office Communicator, Office Live Meeting, and the Office Live Meeting Outlook Add-In.
You can view the script, download it, and read about the features here. It is 1500+ lines of VBScript joy wrapped in a Windows Script File (wsf).
The script was born out of the need to deploy Office Communicator, Office Live Meeting, and the Office Live Meeting Outlook Conferencing Add-In with a customized configuration for a mid-size OCS deployment without a good central software distribution ability. Using Group Policy to rollout the clients also had issues.
The Deploying Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2 document (download “OCS 2007 R2 Deploying Communicator.doc”) gives more details on the various options available for deploying Communicator. The Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Resource Kit (book) also has some good information about deploying the UC clients and a basic script similar to this one. This script was a complete re-write of this one.
The script has many features, including the following:
- Install, or upgrade, Microsoft Office Communicator, Live Meeting, or the Live Meeting Outlook Conferencing Add-In for Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows 2008, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 clients.
- Automatically populate the user SIP address to one of three formats: AD email address, the Username environment variable, or Nothing.
- Supports for a Silent or Informational Mode. A Silent mode can be used to run under a GPO for example.
- An option to copy the installation files locally (with or without a progress UI indicator), and install from the local source.
- Microsoft Office Communicator 2005 can be detected and explicitly uninstalled before installing a newer version of Communicator (including any existing desktop shortcuts).
- Configures customized user settings for Communicator and Live Meeting (via local registry entries).
- Supports options to not install Live Meeting or the Live Meeting Outlook Conferencing Add-In (for deployments that do not have Live Meeting).
- Detects if Outlook is installed, and will not attempt to install the Live Meeting Outlook Conferencing Add-In if Outlook is not installed.
- Detects what version of Outlook is installed, and sets the current user Outlook integration settings accordingly.
- Detects if Outlook is running, and prompts the user to close before installing the Live Meeting Outlook Conferencing Add-In.
- Generates four log files for troubleshooting. One for the main script, and three separate log files for the Communicator, Live Meeting, and the Live Meeting Outlook Add-In installation.
See the Script Customizations for all the possible customizations. While it is highly configurable, treat the script as a starting resource – dig into it, understand it, and customize it for your environment if you want to use it.
The script has been tested and used on many different client operating systems (listed in point #1 above) and is being used in a 3000+ user rollout.