I haven’t done a blog entry for awhile on InsideOCS because I have spent a lot of my extra time developing a small free tool called: The Remote UC Troubleshooting Tool (RUCT).
The tool was born out of my former MOCLogin troubleshooting tool, but I decided to rename it because of the expanded features and all the great things it can do besides just troubleshoot DNS entries with Communicator and Lync client automatic sign-in.
I’ll go on record as saying that I think this is one of the best tools available for troubleshooting Lync and Communicator certificate issues!
Here is a summary of what the tool can do:
1. Easily Query Important DNS Records used by Microsoft Lync Server and OCS.
DNS queries for the following Lync and OCS records are issued with one-click:
- All Lync and Communicator internal and external records used for automatic sign-in.
- Lync sign-in records used for Lync Online (in Office 365).
- Lync simple URL records used for Dial-In, Meetings, and Administration.
- Home registrar location records used by Lync devices.
- The automatic partner discovery record used in an Open Federation configuration.
2. Test Network Availability.
- Easily test the network connectivity to the hostname and port belonging to any matching DNS SRV record, or IP address belonging to an A record.
- A TCP connection is attempted for hostnames and ports, and a ping is attempted for IP addresses.
3. Certificate Retrieval, Installation, and Export.
- The tool can remotely retrieve X509 Certificate information on any Lync or OCS port that is secured using TLS (or SSL). Certificate information returned includes the Common Name (CN), Subject Name, Issuer, Certificate Authority, Expiry Date, Creation Date, and Subject Alternative Names (SANs), and the complete certificate chain.
- The remote certificate can also be installed locally or exported to a file. This makes client access to labs and self-signed certificates much easier to setup.
4. Easily Retrieve Important Client-Side Troubleshooting Information.
- Important client-side environment settings such as O/S version, 32-bit or 64-bit, current domain credentials, and Lync/Communicator sign-on settings are automatically retrieved and consolidated in one place.
- Recent Lync and Communicator specific event log errors and warnings can be retrieved with one-click.
I hope this tool is a big help to people troubleshooting Lync Server and OCS issues. Feel free to provide any feedback.